Does the thought of a professional video shoot in your dental office make you feel cringey? Having a camera in your face isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But what if we told you that by setting up a camera and creating something simple called an “explainer video” can increase dental patient conversion by a HUGE percentage. (We’re not going to tell you, you’ve got press play and find out for yourself.)
That’s not all you’re about to be schooled on courtesy of our own Xaña Winans, owner, and CEO of Golden Proportions Marketing, the country’s leading dental marketing company. She’ll be the first one to admit that if a photoshoot is done correctly, they are a ton of work to pull off. What you need are some first-timer friendly tips to get you started on the path to video success.
Where do you get those tips? By watching this video. There are four things that are absolutely critical to all dental photos that you can’t afford to overlook. Don’t even think about planning your first or next professional photoshoot until you watch this video. It will definitely save you time and money before you’re ready to say cheese on the big day.
(P.S. There’s even more good stuff waiting for you. This is the year you’re moving away from stale dental marketing and start fresh for the new year with a new personal playbook filled with custom monthly marketing strategies that work. Download your FREE copy of “The 2020 Dental Marketing Inspiration Guide” today to get started.
If you want to learn even more about dental marketing from the experts, subscribe to the Golden Proportions Marketing YouTube channel and get friendly with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Every one of our social media platforms has ways for you to engage and learn about growing your practice presence in your community and online.)
If you’re looking to gain more spotlight for your dental practice, the spotlight needs to be on YOU! According to recent studies, you can increase conversions by 80%, just by utilizing an “explainer video” in your marketing. So, you’re ready to schedule a professional video shoot… now what?
Hi, I’m Xaña Winans, owner and CEO of Golden Proportions Marketing, the country’s leading dental marketing company. Professional video shoots are, if done correctly, a lot of work! There’s planning, organizing, wardrobe… tons of options to consider, which is why I’m here today to give you our top 4 tips on how to make sure you’re ready for your close up, Mr. DeMille.
- Cleanup and organize your space. Make sure your office is tidy and ready for the world to see… literally! Remove patient information from desks and work areas, and clean up all areas that will be visible in the shot. Keep in mind little details you may not even think about, but will show up in the video, such as trash cans or even screensavers on your computer. Your kids are cute, but you don’t want the viewer to get distracted by a slideshow of last year’s beach trip.
- Dress for success. This is a big one that is constantly overlooked: your wardrobe! Make sure you’re wearing clean and pressed uniforms, free from wrinkles (and pet hair). When choosing what to wear, consider your dental practice’s brand colors and coordinate with them. If blue is in your brand, have your staff wear blue dress shirts or scrubs. If your brand is fun and full of energy and color, consider one neutral shade of black or gray for everyone to wear and encourage your staff to accessorize with color in their jewelry or ties. Also, make sure your hair is neat and tidy and doesn’t look like you’re in “messy bun, get stuff done” mode. And if your staff is nervous about any of the above grooming tips, don’t be afraid to hire a professional hair and makeup artist for the day. You’ll thank yourself for that later!
- Make a plan. Knowing your overall goal and objective for your video efforts will help you plan a successful day of shooting. Before you dive into a video shoot, first consider these 4 things:
- What types of videos do you need? Testimonials, service specific explainers, meet the doctor, etc.
- Do you have the space in your office that you’ll need to get the types of videos you want? If not, you may want to consider renting out a location like a hotel room or private restaurant banquet area.
- Will you need props for any of the videos you’re filming? For explainer videos, it’s always a great idea to get b-roll shots of the doctor showing a patient x-rays or technology you use in your dental practice.
- Our most important tip is to storyboard ahead of time with your film company. This will help you to feel confident and in control on the day of the shoot. Plus, if you have a plan your production crew and you will know exactly what to capture so you don’t miss anything — Because if they have to come back, it’s going to cost you!
- Set your schedule and stick to it. Take an hour and sit down with pen and paper to plan when you’ll need which patients, team members and doctors to arrive for their parts of the video shoot. While blocking time, add some cushion in case the videographer requires more than one take to get the shot right — Pro tip: it will often take more than one shot. You also may want to plan 5 minutes ahead of each person’s scheduled on-camera time to go over some quick coaching tips or to prep the person with expectations. Don’t forget, your team still needs to eat in order to stay happy! Build in breaks for lunch and quick coffee breaks to keep the morale up. No matter how great a video company is, it’ll be hard to edit out someone if they’re in hangry mode.
Look, this is a lot to take in… we know! It took us 2 years to look this good, and I can’t wait to see how our videos will look in another 2 years, but we have a team of professionals creating them. Once you have one professional video shoot under your belt and see the finalized product, you’ll be kicking yourself for not taking the plunge sooner!
Ready to hire a professional videographer but need some help on where to start? Give us a call today to learn about our options. Not in the budget this year to do a big, professional shoot, but still want to start incorporating video into your marketing? Great idea! Check out our blog, “How to create authentic dental practice videos on your iphone,” for tips, tricks and a list of starter supplies to get you started. We can’t wait to see what you come up with. See you next time!